This colorful trifle will get you in the mood for summer and is a sure crowd pleaser. It is not too rich or sweet, with just the perfect balance of flavors. A layer of strawberry mousse made with fresh strawberries, a layer of lemon curd for that tangy taste and coconut cream to bring it all together. Garnish with meringue cookies and you will hear “oohs” and “aahs” as you bring it into the room!
I invented this recipe while thinking of Easter colors and combined some of the flavors I love, but I am sure you and your families will enjoy it all summer long.
Prepare the night before and chill overnight for best results. This recipe can easily serve a crowd of 12-15 people.
- 1 prepared angel food cake
- 16 ounces frozen strawberries, thawed
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 6 lemon cookies, crushed gently
- 2 cups vanilla frozen whipped topping, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon coconut essence
To make the strawberry mousse:
- Combine strawberries, 1 cup cream, ½ cup sugar and corn starch in medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until thickened, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and chill.
- In a blender, grind the strawberry mixture until smooth like a smoothie consistency.
For the lemon curd:
Beat eggs and ½ cup sugar on high speed of an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes.
Stir in 1 cup cream, lemon juice, butter and lemon peel. Beat on high for 5 minutes or until mixture is thick and creamy.
Add the crushed cookies into the curd mixture. Set aside.
- Mix the coconut essence into the whipped topping until fully blended.
Arrange the trifle:
- Cut the angel food cake into ¼ inch slices.
- In a large (8-inch) trifle bowl, layer the angel food cake slices till the bottom is covered. Pour the strawberry mousse over it.
- Add another layer of angel food cake, followed by the lemon curd. Use the remaining angel food cake to layer above it.
- Top it off with the coconut whipped topping.
- Chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Before serving, decorate with meringue cookies or toasted coconuts and lemon slices.