A trip to downstate New York can offer a quick escape; with beautiful natural surroundings, charming towns, farm to table dining, wineries, and more.
If you plan your trip in advance, you can also catch some of the local festivals and concerts that happen in New York’s Dutchess County.
Here are the top 10 Events in Dutchess County:
1.March – St. Patrick’s Day Parade. Held on first Saturday in March, each year the Committee selects an outstanding community person to lead the parade who is the Grand Marshal.
2. April – Wappinger Creek Water Derby. Who says you need to get to the Caribbean to scuba dive? Take lessons, compete in canoe races, and more, right here in New York.
3.May – Rhinebeck 2016 Antique Car Show & Swap Meet. Check out antique and classic cars on display at this 3-days long car show.
4.May – WW II Living History, USO Show, Bivouac, and Memorial Day Events include the 75th Anniversary of FDR Presidential Library & Museum and Home of Franklin D. Roosevelt National Historic Site, and 100th NPS anniversary.
5. June – Country Living Fair, Rhinebeck. This weekend-long fair includes art displays, live concerts, food tastings, and dozens of themed gardens to keep the entire family entertained.
6.June – Discover Hudson Valley Bike Ride. Explore forests, waterfalls, hills, and gorgeous surroundings of the Hudson Valley on a guided bike tour.
7. July – DCRCOC Balloon Festival, Poughkeepsie. Over 100 hot air balloons are launched from the banks of the Hudson River, against the backdrop of a picture-perfect sunset.
8. August – Jazz in the Valley, Poughkeepsie. An annual festival, showcasing music performed by world-class musicians, fittingly complemented by breathtaking views of the Hudson River Valley as a backdrop.
9. September – Hudson Valley Wine and Food Festival & HV Craft Beer Festival. Taste local products including beer, cider, spirits, wine, and food at this weekend-long gastronomic festival.
10. October – New York State Sheep and Wool Festival.Features livestock displays, competitions, art display, cooking demonstrations, and lots of kid’s activities.
To learn more about spending a weekend in downstate New York, read this post by GoEatGive.
~ Information sourced from Dutchess County Tourism.
Sucheta is an award winning food and travel writer, who has traveled to 100 countries across 7 continents. She is also the founder and editor of 'Go Eat Give' and author of 'Beato Goes To' series of children's books on travel.
View all posts by Sucheta Rawal