A popular dish in Balinese cuisine is Kare Ayam (translates to Chicken Curry), also known as Be Siam Mesanten. It is similar to other Asian curry dishes that use onions, bay leaves and coconut milk. Similar to a yellow Thai curry, you will need a basic yellow sauce to make the base for the curry. The yellow sauce can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated for unto two weeks. Served the Kare Ayam with steamed rice and a side salad.
The recipe is courtesy of Aunty Puspa at Paon Bali cooking school in Ubud, Bali.
CHICKEN IN COCONUT CURRY
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 cup cubed potato
- 7 cloves of garlic
- 3 shallots
- 1 spring onion
- 2 red chilies
- 3 tablespoons coconut cream
- ½ liter chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons of base gede, basic yellow sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 salam leaves or bay leaves
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For optional garnish 1 tablespoon deep fried shallots
- Slice the red chilies and remove their seeds. Slice shallots, garlic, spring onion and the red chilies. Clean, peel and cut the potato into 2 centimeter cubes. Cut the chicken into small slices.
- Sauté shallots, garlic and spring onion on a medium heat until light brown. Add the base gede, then the chicken and stir together.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil. Break the salam and kaffir lime leaves then add them to the stock, with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the coconut cream and keep on a lower heat for 2 minutes before serving.
- Serve in a bowl with deep fried shallots as a garnish.